We all know how important a roof over our heads is. Your roof is the piece of your house that keeps everything safe and secure. It is the one thing that should be the strongest and sturdiest and, contrary to most belief, looking after your roof to ensure it remains that way is a responsibility that shouldn’t be taken lightly.
A roof, like anything, needs maintenance and taken care of. The cost of replacing a roof is an expense and most of us cannot afford. Fortunately, by spending a few hours periodically to carry out scheduled maintenance, you can actually catch roof problems and solve them before they spiral out of control.
A few easy tips and you can extend the life of your roof. This can save you thousands in the long run. Below roof care and maintenance tips that will be a great help in increasing the longevity of your roof and making sure it stays strong over your home.
1. Get regular checkups Keep up-to-date with the condition of your roof. Make sure that everything is in order. It doesn’t hurt to get a professional’s opinion on the matter. Early detection and repair is key to keep your roof healthy.
2. Keep water off your roof The most important thing in order to maintain your roof is to make sure water stays off your roof. Clean your drainage system and the pipelines from time to time. Make sure there are no leaks in your roof. If you have a proper system to get rid of the water on your roof, it will most likely give the roof an extended life.
3. Quality materials use good quality materials for your roof. When it comes to the matter of your roof, don’t get cost-conscious. If you end up spending money on good quality materials and a good workforce, that will only help you save money in the long run. Having a good quality roof enables you to avoid problems in the future.
4. Proper ventilation Making sure that your roof has a proper ventilation system can mean the difference between a strong, long-lasting roof and one that needs replacing every few years. It is one of the most critical factors in roof durability, as poor or no ventilation can allow heat and moisture to cause rafters and sheathing to rot, shingles to buckle, and insulation to lose energy efficiency and overall effectiveness.
5. Interior check Making sure your attic’s ventilation is up to standard can also be a good way to keep your roof strong and durable. You can also check your roof’s status by checking the panels for any cracks, damage, or deterioration. This will give you a pretty fair idea of whether it’s time for a renewal or patch up for your roof.
6. Stay Off The Roof As Much As Possible Try not to walk too much on your roof. Usually walking on a roof when the shingles are soft or brittle, depending on the weather (i.e. summer or winter), can cause the shingles to deteriorate sooner or get damaged. Find a time in the day when the weather is mild.
7. Do not wash your roof with pressure water This causes the shingles to loosen, and the exposure of asphalt to UV rays will shorten the lifespan of the roof. Only a professional should use pressure water.
8. Don’t paint the roof Just because your roof looks old or moldy doesn’t mean you should paint it over. It may be that it is time for a renewal, or the roof just appears this way. No matter what the case, applying paint wears the shingles down and ruins a perfectly good roofing system. Certainly, don’t make any major decisions without a consultation from a professional.
9. Algae and moss removal Algae and moss are a part of roof habitation. Don’t use bleach under any circumstances. People do use diluted bleach and chlorine for such purposes, but that can be a bit harmful, not to mention it leaves a bad odor. The best way to solve the problem is installing zinc strips on the roof. When rain runs off of the zinc, it cleans the algae off the shingles.
10. Keep Trees Trimmed if you have mature trees near your roof, keep them trimmed regularly specially to those branches which are close to the roof. Branches over the roof can scratch and damage your roof.
11. Remove Debris If something does land on your roof, make sure it gets removed. Moisture can form underneath anything that sits on your roof for a long period of time. Getting up on your roof isn’t fun, nor is paying someone to do so. However, if you need your roof cleared of something, you may have to bite the bullet.
12. Hire a professional Whenever you want to fix up your roof, make sure that you hire a professional. Even if you do your own personal inspection, it is best to second it with a professional’s advice and consultation.
Build Masters, LC is a Florida State-certified roofing contractor specializing in residential and commercial roofing services. Our staff has over 75 years experience in South Florida roofing industry and have extensive knowledge in Tile, Metal, Shingle and Flat roofs. We build our reputation on trust, reliability and high quality installation from work we provide.
For more information, quote or FREE consultation, please feel free to visit our business centre today!
Address: 2420 NW 1st Ave Boca Raton, FL - 33431 or Call at 561-757-6587, 954-333-8512